Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DEADLIFTS!


I'm still in my strength mode and unlike last week's back day, I started with deads rather than finishing with them. I wanted to see what my threshold would be and after my warm up sets, I did 5 x 1 (275, 315, 345, 365, and 385). 385 went up pretty smooth. I wanted to go more but I didn't have a belt, which I never use, but then again, I have never deadlifted like this before. In other words, I got scared. I guess 385 is my new PR for now, but I could have done a little more. I'll man up next time.

I did 1 arm rows with rope pulls next. Heavy on the 1 arm rows with 110 lbs and 120 lbs for 10 on the rope pulls. This coupling felt really good. I got a nice pump off the 1 arm rows.

I finished up with strict wide grip chins at a slow tempo and reverse push ups. I was pretty smoked at this point and all I tried to accomplish here was for the hard squeeze. The slower tempo left me dying out at 8, 6, 6 reps on the wide grip chins and 3 sets of 12 on the reverse push ups.

My back used to be a lagging bodypart, but I feel like I've made leaps and bounds with my back development. My traps need work and I need to give more attention there but overall, I'm pleased with the way the footage looks on my wide grip chins.

3 comments:

  1. How come you don't use a belt? Dead lifts are the best overall back workout but you would be limiting your gains if you're only pulling 385 when you could be pulling 500. I like doing them sumo style it takes the stress off my lower back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own a belt. I agree that I could be pulling much more. I need to get a bonafide powerlifting belt. I felt good pulling the 385 but like I said, I got scared haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely looked like you could have got more, and with the abs you have pushing out against the belt and explode at the hips you'll be locking out 950 and smiling in no time haha.I think you'll also notice your traps firing better after pre exhausting them with the dead lifts. Like the blog man I'm always looking for new workouts.

    ReplyDelete