Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Humble pie anyone?????

So today's workout was very last minute and unexpected due to the arrival of my good friend and fellow trainer, Evan Johnson. I had my day all planned out to focus primarily on back but as of 9 pm last night, that wasn't going to be the case. Seeing how Evan is a tri-athlete, he preferred to hit things from a more total body approach which would also challenge all energy systems. NOT FUN! With that said, I told him about Blair Morrison's last WOD: Trans-Continental Workout #4. We obviously had to scale back on the weight used, but that didn't help much as I was still dying! If you're not familiar with Blair and his workouts, perhaps you should take some time to look him up. Here's the workout he did yesterday:

With 1 minute rest between all sets, do the following for as many repetitions as possible:

1 minute of deadlifts

1 minute of thrusters

1 minute strict pullup

1 minute pushup

Repeat for 2 more rounds!!

This workout was down right brutal for someone who is new to this particular style of training. I love the challenge but hate having to trace my steps, picking up pieces of my pride all over the gym floor. Round 1 wasn't too bad, 2 I was feeling it, and the start of 3 I wanted to quit! Like Blair, the thrusters and pull ups were so F-ing hard, especially the pull ups. 1 minute of strict pull ups seemed impossible especially entering rounds 2 and 3. Evan seemed to get through it a little better than I did and mad props to him. He does have a better threshold for this type of training than I do, but this is what this blog is all about! Seek, find, and then exploit the weaknesses in my body and then target them. Now we didn't take down repetitions, but again, this was very last minute, in terms of programming, so we just went with it. I'm just happy I finished. We did do another similar workout after completing Blair's WOD. It went as follows:

1 minute of chest flyes

1 minute of med ball woodchops (30 seconds a side)

1 minute step ups (30 seconds a side)

1 minute of reverse pec decs

This wouldn't have been so bad on it's own, in fact it would have been relatively easy, given the single joints movements but doing anything after what we had just gone through was the cherry on top. After the hour was up, I trained two clients and then did 30 more minutes of straight back work. I went with 2 supersets: dumbbell bent over rows with chin ups and then seated rows with lat pulldowns. I finished off with 1 RM deadlifts. Probably not a good barometer of strength at this point but I just had to see what I had left in me. I pulled 345 for 1 and that was a wrap. Unfortunately, I have no video to document this crazy day of training. Good thing, I wouldn't want anyone to see me doubled over in pain. Embarrassing, but I will get better!! Thanks to Evan for training with me and thanks to Blair for the WOD idea. I had enough pie.............for now. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment