Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Battling the elements

I knew, with my luck and the weather forecast calling for snow this evening, it would start snowing during my workout. It was the inevitable so it was make excuses or get it in. I thought it was going to unbearably cold to be working outside given the snow we got over the weekend and with the low temps today but I was totally fine from the moment I stepped outside. It was a quick jog over to the playground. This is the second week in a row, on Back day, that I have opted to make use of my outdoor surroundings. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of not using ANY weights or machines. Don't get me wrong, bodyweight movements are great, but I'm so used to using dumbbells, barbells, machines, and cables. During the workout, I'm smoked out, but shortly thereafter, I feel like I need to go back and do more. Hence my added pull ups and chin ups in the garage after I got back from the mile run. Here's the rundown:

Warm up jog

Traveling hammer grip pull ups 10, 10
Box jumps 20, 20

Traveling chin ups 10, 10
Box jumps 20, 20

Kipping pull ups 10, 10

Decline bodyweight rows 12, 10, 10, 10
Plyo bodyweight rows 15, 12, 15, 15

Mile run

Square bar pull ups-wide grip 12, 8
Square bar chin ups 10, 8


I enjoyed the traveling hammer grip pull ups. The box jumps were a breeze even with the gimpy knee. No problems there but I'll be sure to throw some ice on it post workout. I was burning out pretty fast and wasn't getting full range on my chin ups. My hands were cold and the lats were fading with a quickness. The 20 box jumps weren't enough. I should have done 30 or 40 to give me more recovery for my chins and pull ups. Now I know! The second set of kipping pull ups felt sloppy and I got confirmation that they most certainly were after viewing the footage. Two thumbs down there, I was dog tired at this point. I did 4 sets on the bodyweight rows to counter all the vertical pulls I just did. In total, we're looking at 98 vertical pulls (chins and pull ups) and 109 horizontal pulls (incline and decline rows). If I don't feel this tomorrow, I surely be in a gym for my next back workout. I did feel it last Tuesday so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment