Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Hold Yourself to a Higher Standard

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Doc says, "Lay off the legs!"


Sorry for the late update. I contemplated not blogging yesterday's workout for I had no footage and was taking care of some work. I finally went to get my knee checked out as it has progressively gotten worse. X rays came back negative and my MRI is scheduled for next Thursday at 4. I'm certain, nothing but bad news will come from this, but we'll see.

I did do arms and calves yesterday. My tris are sore and for good reason. I did a total of 16 sets of various exercises from overhead rope extensions and pressdowns, close grip bench presses, dips, and cable kickbacks. I would like more lateral head development in the tris but the long and the medial take the brunt of the load. I thought today's focus would definitely do the trick but it did not.

I alternated my triceps work with biceps. I did a total of 14 sets. I know, it sounds like a lot for biceps but you gotta work the two-headed monster! The exercises included Free Motion curls, top half chin up partials, preacher curls, and reverse curls.

Lastly, I did 80 reps on calves on the Free Motion calf machine. This was nothing like Monday's calf workout but I ran out of time. I know that sounds like the common thread with a lot of my workouts but it is the truth. My workouts are structured around when I have a rare cancellation. That leaves me with about 50 minutes to get it in and be ready for the next client. I move to a brand new schedule come March 1 so I'll make adjustments accordingly.

Today is usually cardio. I don't have football seeing how the mounds of snow will be with us til summer. The doc says to lay low, in the event that I may due more damage to my knee, but that isn't really an option. The plan was to hit up the gym and run, 35-40 minutes today and tomorrow at 65% of my target heart rate. I know, I really hate getting on the gerbil wheel but I can't sit on the couch all day. I did 4 miles at a slow jog. It was easy and surprisingly fun.

Another new wrinkle, from here on out til summer, will be no or very little carbs for dinner. This will be as extreme as it gets for me. I am NOT a big fan of low carb diets, despite they're effectiveness. As mentioned before, my body handles carbs very well and no carbs at dinner will be really difficult for me. Who's with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment